Just one more, I swear. I decided to join the 1% Well Read challenge because several books I’m already reading will overlap, but also because this will help me reduce my TBR pile even further. This is the last one I’ll join. Really.
I’m doing thirteen books from the combined lists, partially because I already committed to read a few books for other challenges that are on the old list, so technically I’d only have to add a few extra books, several of which I alread own. My picks are listed below. A star (*) indicates a book I already own, and I’ve noted where they overlap with other challenges:
1. *Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro (9 for ’09; dropped from original list)
2. *The Plot Against America – Philip Roth (Started, but never finished)
3. *Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay – Michael Chabon (9 for ’09)
4. *Blind Assassin – Margaret Atwood (Dropped from original list)
5. The Savage Detectives – Roberto Bolano (Orbis Terrarum)
6. 100 Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Orbis Terrarum)
7. Wide Sargasso Sea – Jean Rhys (Orbis Terrarum)
8. *The Magic Mountain – Thomas Mann (Started, but never finished. Note to self: this is not a beach read.)
9. *If on A Winter’s Night A Traveler – Italo Calvino
10. *Suite Francaise – Irene Nemerovsky
11. *The Big Sleep – Raymond Chandler
12. The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
13. The Ambassadors – Henry James
I can quit anytime!